Tuesday, February 8, 2011

S is for Sick...and Soup

Perhaps one of the only benefits of getting sick is an excuse to make some chicken soup, not that I particularly need an excuse, but you know what I mean.  Luckily, I'm not sick, but one of my friends is, so I made her some.

I think I made too much.
According to MayoClinic.com, chicken soup actually might have some medicinal properties good for relieving colds.

"Generations of parents have spooned chicken soup into their sick children. Now scientists have put chicken soup to the test, discovering that it does have effects that might help relieve cold and flu symptoms in two ways. First, it acts as an anti-inflammatory by inhibiting the movement of neutrophils — immune system cells that participate in the body's inflammatory response. Second, it temporarily speeds up the movement of mucus, possibly helping relieve congestion and limiting the amount of time viruses are in contact with the nose lining."

Turns out Mom was right.  Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment